Energy Networks Association represents the companies which operate the electricity wires, gas pipes and energy system in the UK and Ireland.
We help our members meet the challenge of delivering electricity and gas to communities across the UK and Ireland safely, sustainably and reliably.
Our members include every major electricity and gas network operator in the UK and Ireland, independent operators, National Grid ESO which operates the electricity system in Great Britain and National Grid which operates the gas system in Great Britain. Our affiliate membership also includes companies with an interest in energy, including Heathrow Airport and Network Rail.
About the energy industry
Energy network operators manage and maintain the wires, pipes and other infrastructure which delivers electricity and gas to your home, business and community. If you'd like to learn more, we have created a dedicated page explaining how the energy networks operate.
Together, our industry employs around 45,000 people in the UK and Ireland, including 40,000 in Great Britain. Millions of kilometres of cables and pipes deliver electricity and gas to more than 30 million homes and businesses and we're spending and investing billions of pounds upgrading, maintaining and preparing the networks so they can continue to deliver a safe, sustainable and reliable energy system in the future.
How ENA supports its members
We help our members to:
- Create smart grids, ensuring our networks are prepared for more renewable generation than ever before, decentralised sources of energy, more electric vehicles and heat pumps. Learn more about our Open Networks programme.
- Create the world's first zero-carbon gas grid, by speeding up the switch from natural gas to hydrogen. Learn more about our Gas Goes Green programme.
- Innovate. We're supporting over £450m of innovation investment to support customers, connections and more.
- Be safe. We bring our industry together to improve safety and reduce workforce and public injury.
- Manage our networks. We support our members manage, create and maintain a vast array of electricity codes, standards and regulations which supports the day-to-day operation of our energy networks.